Blog & Resources
Summer Squash Pad Thai
In this “spiralized” vegetable noodle recipe inspired by pad Thai, zucchini and summer squash replace the rice noodles, pumping up the vegetables while reducing calories. Top with stir-fried chicken, shrimp, or tofu for added protein if desired.
- 1¼ pounds yellow summer squash (2-3 medium)
- 1¼ pounds zucchini (2-3 medium)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil plus ¼ cup, divided
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 6 scallions, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups bean sprouts
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 4 lime wedges (optional)
- Using a spiral vegetable slicer or julienne or regular vegetable peeler, slice zucchini and summer squash lengthwise into long, thin strands. Stop when you reach the seeds in the middle (seeds make the noodles fall apart). You should have about 12 cups of squash ‘noodles.’
- Combine vinegar, fish sauce, honey, and chili-garlic sauce in a small bowl. Place near the stove.
- Set a 14-inch flat-bottom carbon-steel wok or large skillet over high heat until hot. Swirl in 1 teaspoon oil. Add eggs and cook, without stirring, until set, 30 to 40 seconds. Flip over and cook until set on the other side, about 30 seconds more. Transfer to a plate.
- Swirl the remaining ¼ cup oil into the wok (or pan). Add the squash noodles, bell pepper, scallions, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add bean sprouts and the reserved sauce and toss until heated through 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slice or chop the egg. Serve the noodles topped with the egg and garnished with peanuts, cilantro, and lime wedges if desired.
Serving size: about 1¾ cups Per serving: 200 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat); 5 g fiber; 25 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 174 mcg folate; 186 mg cholesterol; 16 g sugars; 4 g added sugars; 2,009 IU vitamin A; 103 mg vitamin C; 105 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 765 mg sodium; 1,063 mg potassium