Blog & Resources
You know what I love about summer? It’s when I feel the most energized. It’s the time of year when I feel I can make some big changes. When the sun is out. When I find myself outside and doing more (rather than being stuck in my usual routine). That’s when I find myself motivated to accomplish a few goals.
Hopefully, you feel the same way, because I’d sure like to challenge you to make this your summer for change.
Summer is a great time to begin new things, especially a new exercise program.
Summertime is the perfect time to make some changes in your life. The weather is nicer, you have more free time, and you’re likely to be more motivated since summer is seen as a time for fun and relaxation. So why not use this opportunity to make some positive changes in your life?
- In summer we tend to have more energy.
- Longer days mean more light for activities.
- Warm weather inspires lots of outdoor activities.
- Research shows that our caloric intake tends to decrease in the summer, making it easier to lose weight, especially if your activity increases.
This summer could be the beginning of you beginning a new, healthier, stronger, and more vibrant chapter in your life. And, since it’s summer, you already have a leg up!
Outdoor Fitness Tips for Hot Summer Months
When it’s hot or humid, be active during the cooler times of day. Find shaded areas, like parks with big trees, and drink plenty of fluids. You have less chance of getting too hot if you do lighter exercise, like walking. Be sure to wear sunscreen.
- Take morning or evening walks. Walking the dog or walking with a partner helps you make it part of your routine.
- Go for a bike ride. Find shaded areas, and ride during cooler times of day.
- Go swimming on hot days. This is a healthy family activity for summer.
- Do light yard work or gardening. You’ll burn calories while you keep the yard looking good.
- Wash your car. This gets you outside and helps you burn calories. Give yourself a splash to stay cool.
Practice random acts of fitness
Sneak in little bits of exercise with some summer-friendly activities. For example:
- Washing the car for 30 minutes burns about 100 calories
- Gardening burns 128 calories
- Other options: Throwing a Frisbee, Walking the Dog, Playing a Game of Volleyball (all about 100 calories)
- Mowing the lawn about (176 calories)
- Biking around the neighborhood (192 calories), or hula-hooping, which burns about 50 calories in just 10 minutes.
The key to adding physical activity into your day is to do it in a way that’s enjoyable, so you’ll be more likely to stick with it. Start slow and gradually increase the amount of time you are active.
Set some goals for yourself and try to meet them. Remember, any activity is better than none, and even small changes can make a big difference in your overall health.
So what are you waiting for?
Get out there and enjoy the summer while getting healthy and fit at the same time!
If you need help making changes in your life, then book your free consult and let us tell you exactly what we can do to help you reach your goals.
At Individual Fitness, we want you to succeed. We have a vested interest in seeing you meet your fitness and nutrition goals. We care about YOU—which is why we create a custom fitness and nutrition program just for you, to help you realize your specific goals.
It’s your season for change. And we can’t wait to help you!