Blog & Resources
Sicilian Olive Chicken
This saucy one-skillet chicken dish is full of tomatoes, spinach, olives and capers. Try Kalamata olives in place of the green Sicilians or a combination of both. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles with a mixed green salad on the side.
Makes: 4 servings Active Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil or other Italian-style seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/3 cup halved Sicilian or other green olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 4 4-ounce chicken cutlets (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine tomatoes, spinach, olives, capers and crushed red pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken until browned on one side, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Turn it over; top with the tomato mixture.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Per Serving: 213 calories; protein 26.1g; carbohydrates 9.3g; dietary fiber 3.2g; sugars 4g; fat 8.4g; saturated fat 1.5g; cholesterol 62.7mg; vitamin a iu 7140.4IU; vitamin c 11.2mg; folate 93.7mcg; calcium 127.7mg; iron 3.3mg; magnesium 79.5mg; potassium 606.2mg; sodium 541.9mg; thiamin 0.2mg
Leave a Comment