Blog & Resources
HEALTHY TURKEY STUFFED PEPPER
Stuffed peppers come in many forms, this version is healthy and delicious coming in at just 181 calories! It’s a yummy Mexican twist on this classic dish.
- 4 medium bell peppers halved
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese lite Mexican blend
- Optional: chopped scallions fresh cilantro
- Spray a 9 by 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place sliced peppers, cut side down into the dish.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to bottom of dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- (You can skip this step and just bake peppers for longer in the oven until tender.) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat oil in a skillet and cook onion until translucent.
- Add turkey and seasonings.
- Once meat is browned, add black beans, salsa and brown rice.
- Spoon evenly into each pepper half.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, uncover and add shredded cheese on top of each stuffed pepper.
- Bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with chopped scallions and cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 181 Calories Total Fat 7g Cholesterol 31mg Sodium 341mg
Total Carbohydrates 19g Dietary Fiber 5g Sugars 5g Protein 12g
Author Brenda Bennett | Sugar Free Mom