Blog & Resources
We asked team IF for their favorite healthy recipes and this week’s is from IF’s very own John Olson.
This classic hearty beef and tomato stew is true comfort food at its finest! The perfect recipe for a chilly weekend at home and can easily be made in your instant pot, slow cooker, or even right on the stove.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (if searing the meat first)
- 2 lb. cubed stew beef
- 2 (15 oz) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 lb. baby potatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary (or ½ tsp dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- To make in your instant pot: Drizzle olive oil in the bowl of your instant pot and turn on the sauté function. Wait until it’s nice and heated then add meat, browning on all sides. Add the rest of your ingredients, seal the instant pot and select the meat/stew setting (about 35 minutes). Once cooking is complete, let the instant pot sit for about 12 minutes then release the steam by placing the valve to the venting position.
- To make in your slow cooker: Add cubed beef (except the oil) along with the rest of ingredients, cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- To make on your stove top: In a large dutch oven or pot on medium high heat, drizzle oil and sear meat on all sides. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 2 to 3 hours, until meat is tender. Serve and enjoy!