Blog & Resources
Fajita Turkey Burger
A perfect healthy option for that fourth of July cookout! That’s right, turkey burgers that are moist AND delicious! They do exist!
- 1/4 cup bottled tomatillo salsa
- 2 tablespoons chopped avocado
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 (1-ounce) slices wheat bread
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 egg white
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Combine tomatillo salsa, chopped avocado, and cilantro; set aside
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until crumbs measure 1 cup.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add onion and bell peppers; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in 1/2 teaspoon fajita seasoning and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cool.
- Combine breadcrumbs, onion mixture, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons fajita seasoning, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, tomato paste, turkey, and egg white in a large bowl.
- Using damp hands, divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 3/4-inch-thick patty.
- Heat pan over medium heat. Recoat pan with cooking spray.
- Add patties; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun.
- Top each serving with 1 1/2 tablespoons salsa mixture; top with remaining halves of buns.
Per Serving: 349 calories; calories from fat 30%; fat 11.5g; saturated fat 3.1g; mono fat 1g; poly fat 1.1g; protein 30.4g; carbohydrates 34.5g; fiber 4.6g; cholesterol 71mg; iron 2.7mg; sodium 876mg; calcium 110mg