Blog & Resources
Chicken & Sweet Potato Stew
Here’s a dinnertime warmer with a hint of spring’s sweetness, designed for that day when you’d rather be outside raking the leaves from the garden, getting it ready for what’s ahead, than slaving over the stove.
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed of fat
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into spears
- ½ pound white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth or stock
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1½ tablespoons white-wine vinegar
Preparation: Active 20 m Ready In 5 h 20 m
- Place chicken, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, wine, rosemary, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine. Put the lid on and cook on low until the potatoes are tender, about 5 hours. Before serving, remove bones from the chicken, if desired, and stir in vinegar.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
- Serving size: 1 chicken thigh, 1 cup vegetables with sauce
- Per serving: 300 calories; 6 g fat(2 g sat); 5 g fiber; 38 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 34 mcg folate; 50 mg cholesterol; 8 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 21,810 IU vitamin A; 7 mg vitamin C; 72 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 520 mg sodium; 895 mg potassium