Blog & Resources
Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Medley
- 15-ounce can black beans, no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (according to package directions)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mango
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
- juice from 1 medium lemon or lime
- 1 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- Mix together the beans, quinoa, corn, bell pepper, mango, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and turmeric in a small bowl.
- Drizzle over the mixture and toss. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serving size: 1 cup / Serves 6
Calories: 164 Protein: 6g Carb 27g Fiber 7g Sugar 11.6g Fat 4g Sodium 93mg
Watermelon Fruit Pizza
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large round slices of watermelon (about 1 inch thick), cut from the center of the melon
- ⅔ cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup halved blackberries
- 2 tbsp torn fresh mint leaves
- Combine yogurt, honey and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Spread ¼ cup yogurt mixture over each slice of watermelon.
- Cut each slice into 8 wedges.
- Top with strawberries, blackberries and mint.
Serving size: 2 slices
Per serving: 64 calories; 1 g fat(0 g sat); 1 g fiber; 15 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 13 mcg folate;1 mg cholesterol; 12 g sugars; 1 g added sugars; 893 IU vitamin A; 22 mg vitamin C; 46 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 13 mg sodium; 237 mg potassium
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1 ½ tsp steak seasoning like Montreal Steak Grill Mates
- 4 thick slices red onion
- 4 oz reduced-fat Swiss, sliced thin
- 4 thin slices tomato
- ½ avocado, sliced thin
- baby spinach
- 4 whole wheat low-calorie buns
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, oil, rosemary, and Montreal steak seasoning. Place the mushroom caps in the bowl and toss with sauce, using a spoon to evenly coat. Let stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes, turning a few times.
- Heat the grill or indoor grill pan over medium heat. When hot, brush the grate with oil or lightly spray the grill pan. Place the mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until tender, brushing with marinade frequently.
- Top the mushrooms with cheese during the last minute of cooking. While the mushrooms cook, grill the onions about 1 minute on each side and grill the buns until toasted.
- To finish, place the spinach and grilled portobello mushrooms on the buns and top with the grilled onions, sliced tomato and avocado.
Servings: 4 • Size: 1 loaded burger • Points +: 8 pts • Smart Points: 6
Calories: 295 • Fat: 13 g • Carb: 31 g • Fiber: 11 g • Protein: 21 g • Sugar: 6 g
Sodium: 594 mg (without salt) • Cholest: 0 mg
Grilled Pesto Chicken and Tomato Kebabs
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ¼ lbs skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 16 wooden skewers
- In a food processor pulse basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil while pulsing.
- Combine the raw chicken with pesto and marinate a few hours in a bowl.
- Soak wooden skewers in water at least 30 minutes (or use metal ones to avoid this step).
- Beginning and ending with chicken, thread chicken and tomatoes onto 8 pairs of parallel skewers to make 8 kebabs total.
- Heat the outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium heat until hot. Be sure the grates are clean and spray lightly with oil.
- Place the chicken on the hot grill and cook about 3-4 minutes; turn and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 1 kebab
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 147 Total Fat: 7.5g Saturated Fat: g Cholesterol: 2.5mg Sodium: 104mg Carbohydrates: 3g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Protein: 18g