Blog & Resources
This incredibly easy healthy slow cooker recipe combines smoky, juicy pork with sweet apples and onions to create a melt-in-your-mouth delicious pulled pork that you will be making again and again.
- One 3-pound boneless pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium apples – sliced
- 1 large onion – sliced
- 12 oz beer (if you don’t want to use beer substitute 12 oz. beef or chicken broth)
- In a small bowl, mix together spices: smoked paprika through pepper. Coat the pork shoulder with the dry rub and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
- Place apple and onion slices in the bottom of a slow cooker and top with the pork shoulder. Add beer and cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- When cooking time is complete, remove pork from the slow cooker and let rest. When pork is cool enough to handle, begin shredding the meat and disposing of any excess fat.
- Place shredded, lean pork meat back into the slow cooker and mix with the apples, onions, and cooking juices.
- Serve on a whole grain bun with apple slices.
Leave a Comment