Blog & Resources
PUMPKIN COCONUT STEW
- 1 pound pumpkin, butternut squash, or acorn squash, halved, peeled and seeds removed
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 sticks of lemongrass, outer leaves removed, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- a generous splash or two of olive oil
- 1 white onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups coconut milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- juice of 1 lime
(Roasting the carrots intensifies their sweetness.)
Roast the pumpkin at 350Â°F until flesh is tender. In a large soup pot cook the onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent and brown. Add the chili powder, curry powder, lemongrass, ginger, pumpkin flesh, coconut milk, shredded coconut and stock. Stir for a minute to coat and then bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and cover.
Simmer for 15 minutes. Season with sea salt and pepper and season with fresh lime juice, tasting as you go.
Serve in bowls OR add it back to the pumpkin shell for a beautiful presentation. Top with chili powder, some shredded coconut or cilantro leaves if you like.