Blog & Resources
Poached Cod & Green Beans with Pesto
Using just one skillet, this easy fish recipe cooks cod right on top of fresh green beans and uses the same pan to make a flavorful sauce. The result is perfectly flaky fish, tender-crisp vegetables, a savory pan sauce and very little cleanup.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound green and/or yellow wax beans, trimmed
- ¾ cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1¼ pounds cod, cut into 4 portions
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth or “no-chicken” broth
- ¼ cup prepared pesto
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beans and shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallot starts to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle both sides of cod with salt and pepper.
- Spread the beans into a flat layer in the pan and gently place the cod on top.
- Increase heat to high, add broth, cover and cook until the fish is just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the cod and beans to a large serving plate or divide among 4 dinner plates; cover to keep warm.
- Cook the broth over high heat, uncovered, until reduced to about ½ cup, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in pesto.
- Pour the sauce over the fish and beans and serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Serving size: 4 oz. cod, 1¼ cups beans & 2 Tbsp. sauce
Per serving: 264 calories; 12 g fat(3 g sat); 4 g fiber; 15 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 55 mcg folate; 61 mg cholesterol; 5 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1,292 IU vitamin A; 17 mg vitamin C; 177 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 371 mg sodium; 747 mg potassium