Blog & Resources
Orange Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 3 TBSP Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ½ Cup Orange Juice
- 2 TBSP Lite Soy Sauce
- 1 TBSP Grated Fresh Ginger
- 2 Tsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- ½ Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- ¾ LB Beef Sirloin, trimmed of all fat
- 2 Tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 Large Bunch Broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 Bunch Scallions, cut into diagonal slices
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Cups Cooked Brown Rice
- With a small sharp knife or vegetable peeler, carefully pare wide strips of zest from one of the oranges. Cut the zest into 1-inch strips and set aside. Squeeze juice from all the oranges into a small bowl (for about 3/4 cup).
- Add soy sauce, rice wine (or sherry), cornstarch, and sugar and stir to combine; set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat until almost smoking.
- Add beef and stir-fry just until no longer pink on the outside, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to the pan and heat until very hot.
- garlic, ginger, chiles, and the reserved orange zest; stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broccoli and water. Cover and steam, stirring occasionally until the water has evaporated and the broccoli sizzles, about 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute more.
- Stir the reserved orange sauce and pour it into the wok. Bring to a boil, stirring; cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add scallion greens and the reserved beef and toss to coat with sauce; heat through.
Per Serving: 238 calories; protein 21.1g; carbohydrates 26.8g; dietary fiber 5.8g; sugars 12g; fat 6.1g; saturated fat 1.6g; cholesterol 39.5mg; vitamin a iu 5623.5IU; vitamin c 231.9mg; folate 165.3mcg; calcium 111.8mg; iron 3mg; magnesium 73.2mg; potassium 1037.8mg; sodium 343.1mg; thiamin 0.3mg. Exchanges: 2 Lean Protein, 2 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat, 1/2 Fruit