Blog & Resources
Nine of the best benefits of pineapples
1. Cancer prevention: Pineapples are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C which can help bolster the body and protect it from cancer. The flavonoids, bromelain, and other antioxidants are important components in cancer prevent, but it’s the manganese content that makes pineapples great for cancer prevention. Pineapple is a delicious way to boost your immune system and reduce your risk of cancer!
2. Digestive health: If you suffer from digestive issues, pineapples may be your stomach’s best friend! This fruit is a rich source of both soluble and insoluble fiber which can help protect you from developing constipation, IBS, and diarrhea.
Adding fiber to your diet can help stimulate the passage of food through the digestive tract promoting a healthy digestive system.
3. Coughs: Who knew that pineapples can serve as a natural cough remedy? There is no need to run to the drug store and stock up on that yucky cough syrup because a natural cough remedy may be sitting in your refrigerator. This fruit is full of vitamin C which is going to help boost your immune system, but it also contains an important enzyme called bromelain.
Bromelain has been known to help reduce the production of phlegm as well as mucus built up in the respiratory tract and even the sinus cavities. This enzyme is also a potent anti-inflammatory agent, and has the ability to fight infections, and kill off bacteria. Studies have shown that the juice from fresh pineapples may actually be able to suppress coughs more effectively than traditional cough medicines! (Pineapple smoothie, anyone?!)
4. Bone health: When you first think about pineapples, you probably wouldn’t associate them with having bone health benefits, however, they actually do! The high manganese content assists in strengthening bones as well as aiding in growth, and overall repair.
One single serving of pineapple can provide you with up to 70% of your daily requirement of manganese!
5. Oral health: Watch out fluoride, because pineapple makes an impressive impact on oral health – without the toxicity! If you’re looking for a natural way to boost your oral health, this tropical fruit may be the answer.
Pineapples contain astringent properties which help in strengthening your gums. Don’t forget about the antioxidant properties that can also help protect against oral cancer.
6. Blood circulation: Here is another amazing health benefit of this fruit. Pineapple is a rich source of copper, which is required for the formation of red blood cells. Red blood cells are needed in order to provide oxygenation to different organs of the body and provides cognitive health benefits as well.
7. Tissue health: Did you know that vitamin C is required in the production of collagen? This is why vitamin C can aid in wound healing, and can help prevent the development of other infections.
Pineapple is high in vitamin C making it the perfect fruit to boost wound healing, and provide protection.
8. Arthritis: If you suffer from arthritis, pineapple may be able to help! This fruit has been known to reduce overall inflammation, including inflammation associated with joint and muscle pain.
That amazing enzyme bromelain is again responsible for this action and has been shown to reduce the symptoms of arthritis in different studies.
9. Blood pressure: Did you know that according to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, fewer than 2% of American adults are getting the recommended amount of potassium into their diets? Potassium is an important part of naturally lowering high blood pressure, and high potassium foods include fruits, and vegetables, including pineapples! Try adding pineapple into your diet as a natural potassium booster.