Blog & Resources
7 Life-Changing Health Benefits of Eating Apples
Tis the season!! Here are 7 good reasons to hit the Apple Orchard this weekend!!
1. An apple certainly won’t replace your toothbrush and daily brushing habits. However, biting and chewing an apple stimulates the production of saliva in your mouth, reducing tooth decay by lowering the levels of bacteria.
2. Apples contain a fair dose of fiber for your daily diet.
3. Women who eat at least one apple a day are 28% less likely to develop type 2 diabetes than those who don’t eat apples. Apples are loaded with soluble fiber, which is the key to regulating blood sugar swings.
4. A new study performed on mice shows that drinking apple juice could keep Alzheimer’s away and fight the effects of aging on the brain. Mice in the study that were fed an apple-enhanced diet showed higher levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and did better in maze tests than those on a regular diet.
5. Eating an apple before you work out may boost your exercise endurance. Apples deliver an antioxidant called quercetin, which helps endurance by making oxygen more available to the lungs. One study showed that quercetin, when taken in supplement form, helped people bike longer.
6. Much of the antioxidant content of an apple is found in its peel, so you’ll want to leave the peel on when you eat it. For this reason, look for organic apples, which will be free from pesticides and other chemicals.
7. Researchers believe that a flavanoid called phloridzin, found only in apples, may protect post-menopausal women from osteoporosis. They may also increase bone density. Boron, another ingredient in apples, also strengthens bones.