Blog & Resources
Herb-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
Stuffing the chicken with fresh herbs infuses it with flavor; the high oven temperature yields crisp skin and juicy meat.
PREP: 10 MINS TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 10 MINS SERVINGS: 4
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), rinsed and patted dry
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 bunch thyme
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 2 leeks (white and light-green parts only), halved lengthwise, then crosswise, and rinsed well
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 pound small red potatoes, any large ones halved
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper and place in a roasting pan. Stuff thyme and parsley in cavity. In a large bowl, toss leeks, carrots, and potatoes with oil; season with salt and pepper. Scatter vegetables around chicken, arranging potatoes at edges of pan; pour wine into pan. Roast until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear when pierced between breast and leg (an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of a thigh, avoiding bone, should read 165 degrees), about 1 hour.