Blog & Resources
Grass Fed Beef Skewers
(with tomato & cucumber salad)
Serves 4 (serving size: 2 kebabs and 2 tbsp. sauce)
This quick and easy dish is great for backyard cookouts. Feel free to prep the sauce and skewer the beef ahead of time. The thin strips cook in a flash and stay very tender—low-fat grass fed sirloin can be tough if served in large chunks. If you can’t find top sirloin, bottom round or strip steaks will also work. To get 16 even slices from the steak, cut the steak in half, then cut the halves in half to make four quarters. Slice each quarter into 4 strips.
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound grass-fed top sirloin steak, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 (8-in.) skewers
- Cooking spray
- Chopped green onions (optional)
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Calories 216 fat 10.5 g satfat 2.5 g monofat 6.1 g polyfat 0.8 g protein 29 g carbohydrate 2 g fiber 1 g cholesterol 64 mg iron 2 mg sodium 552 mg calcium 37 mg sugars 1 g
How to Make It
- Preheat grill to high (450°F to 550°F). Combine yogurt, dill, rind, juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl; stir well.
- Cut steak into 16 (4- x 1-inch) strips. Toss with oil; sprinkle with coriander, pepper, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Thread 2 strips onto each skewer.
- Place skewers on a grill grate coated with cooking spray. Grill, uncovered, 90 seconds on each side or until slightly charred. Serve with yogurt sauce. Garnish with onions, if desired.
Tomato and Cucumber Couscous
Serves 4 (serving size: about 1/2 cup)
A great addition to the grass fed beef skewers, Mediterranean flavors shine in this simple side dish of Tomato and Cucumber Couscous.
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup Israeli couscous
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
Nutritional Information: Calories 156 Fat 2.6g Satfat 1.6g Monofat 0.0g Polyfat 0.0g Protein 0.0g
Carbohydrate 0.0g Fiber 0.0g Cholesterol 0.0mg Iron 0.0mg Sodium 268mg
How to Make It
Bring water to a boil. Add couscous. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in tomatoes, cucumber, onion, lemon juice, salt, and fet
RECIPE BY COOKING LIGHT