Blog & Resources
Filet Mignon for Two with Sweet Potato Mash
A tiny bit of compound butter, seasoned with garlic and herbs, makes a simple but delicious finish for a tender steak. We have rounded out this colorful healthy meal with roasted broccolini and mashed sweet potato—the perfect impressive yet easy dinner for date night-in.
- 1 tablespoon butter, slightly softened
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary and/or chives
- 1 small sweet potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- ¾ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 bunch broccolini, trimmed and halved lengthwise if large
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 4-ounce filet mignon steaks, about 1¼ inches thick
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine butter, garlic and herbs in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add sweet potato, cover and steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add milk, 1 teaspoon of the herb butter, ¼ teaspoon pepper and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Mash with a large fork or potato masher to desired consistency. Cover and keep warm.
- Toss broccolini with 2 teaspoons oil, ¼ teaspoon pepper and ⅛ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Place the broccolini on one half of a large rimmed baking sheet and roast until beginning to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Pat steaks dry with paper towel and season both sides with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the steaks, turning once, until browned on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove the broccolini from the oven and stir. Place the seared steaks on the empty half of the baking sheet. Return to the oven and roast until the broccolini has softened and the steaks are cooked to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer each steak to a plate and top each one with 1 teaspoon of the herb butter. Serve with the broccolini and mashed sweet potato.
Nutrition information: Serving size: 1 steak, ½ cup sweet potato & ½ cup broccolini Per serving: 468 calories; 24 g fat(8 g sat); 5 g fiber; 32 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 24 mcg folate; 92 mg cholesterol; 11 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 23,554 IU vitamin A; 101 mg vitamin C; 182 mg calcium; 4 mg iron; 726 mg sodium; 1,259 mg potassium
Leave a Comment