Blog & Resources
Wow your family and friends with this delicious easy one-pot wonder: tender bulgur, creamy feta, and moist chicken. No sauce is necessary since there’s so much flavor in the pan. It’s a complete meal, you could complement it with a side salad if you’d like. If you don’t have a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, you can use any other medium-sized ovenproof skillet.
- 4 (6-oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced garlic
- ½ cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale (about 2 ½ oz.)
- ½ cup thinly sliced bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about ½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Heat 1 ½ teaspoons oil in a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Add chicken to pan; cook until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add bulgur and oregano; cook, stirring often, until fragrant and toasted, about 2 minutes. Add kale and bell peppers; cook, stirring constantly until kale begins to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add stock and remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper; bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Nestle chicken into bulgur mixture; place skillet in oven. Bake at 400°F until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165°F, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with feta. Let stand 5 minutes. sprinkle with dill, and serve immediately.
Serves 4 (serving size:¾ cup bulgur mixture and 1 chicken breast)
Calories 369; Fat 11.3g; Satfat 3.6g; Monofat 4.3g; Polyfat 1.3g; Protein 45g; Carbohydrate; 21g; Fiber 4g; Cholesterol 137mg; Iron 2mg; Calcium 141mg; Sugars 3g
JULIA LEVY – Cooking Light
Leave a Comment