Blog & Resources
Turkey Wild Rice Salad
This 25-minutes, main dish, grain salad features a wild rice mix and cooked turkey breast. Sweet apples and dried cherries are a pleasing contrast to the crunchy celery and toasted pecans, and the thyme-flavored dressing enhances all the different flavors nicely.
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice mix
- 8 ounces cooked turkey breast, chopped
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dried cherries
- ¼ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon snipped fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Prepare long grain and wild rice mix according to package direction, omitting the seasoning packet. Discard the seasoning packet or reserve for another use. Spread rice mixture on a baking sheet to cool completely.
- In a serving bowl, combine rice mixture, turkey, apple, celery, dried cherries and pecans. In a screw-top jar combine vinegar, oil, thyme, pepper and salt. Cover and shake well to combine. Pour over salad and toss to combine. Cover and chill until ready to serve or up to 24 hours.
Nutrition information: Serving size: 1 cup
Per serving: 252 calories; 8 g fat(1 g sat); 3 g fiber; 32 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 7 mcg folate; 31 mg cholesterol; 7 g sugars; 227 IU vitamin A; 3 mg vitamin C; 27 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 225 mg sodium; 322 mg potassium From: Diabetic Living Magazine