Blog & Resources
Mediterranean Chicken and Bulgur Skillet
Wow your family and friends with this delicious easy one-pot wonder: tender bulgur, creamy feta, and moist chicken. No sauce necessary since there’s so much flavor in the pan. It’s a complete meal, you could complement with a side salad if you’d like. If you don’t have a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, you can use any other medium-sized ovenproof skillet.
- 4 (6-oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced garlic
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale (about 2 1/2 oz.)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh dill
How to Make It
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400°F.
Step 2:Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Add chicken to pan; cook until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate.
Step 3:Add remaining oil to pan. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add bulgur and oregano; cook, stirring often, until fragrant and toasted, about 2 minutes. Add kale and bell peppers; cook, stirring constantly, until kale begins to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add stock and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper; bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
Step 4:Nestle chicken into bulgur mixture; place skillet in oven. Bake at 400°F until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165°F, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with feta. Let stand 5 minutes. sprinkle with dill, and serve immediately.
Serves 4 (serving size: 3/4 cup bulgur mixture and 1 chicken breast)
Nutritional Information:Calories 369 Fat 11.3g Satfat 3.6g Monofat 4.3g Polyfat 1.3g Protein 45g Carbohydrate 21g Fiber 4g Cholesterol 137mg Iron 2mg Calcium 141mg Sugars 3g
JULIA LEVY – Cooking Light